Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tara Austen Weaver, What Are You Reading?

Tara Austen Weaver’s recently published book The Butcher and the Vegetarian grabbed my attention because I too have meat issues. My issues are more of the picky-eater sort, but I was still intrigued by her journey into meat land after living as a vegetarian for her entire life. The book is full of great information about responsible, sustainable farming, ranching, and meat production, in addition to entertaining stories about what she was cooking and eating throughout this adventure. Tara has also been published in several anthologies, written for Edible San Francisco and other print publications, and her blog, Tea and Cookies, was selected as one of the top 50 food blogs in the world by the Times of London. I asked Tara, what are you reading?

Tara:
I just finished reading Kim Severson’s new memoir, Spoon Fed: How Eight Cooks Saved My Life, which I loved. She profiles a series of women whose work in food has inspired her, but it is Kim’s own story of finding her way back from alcoholism that is perhaps most inspiring.




On the cookbook front, I am mesmerized by David Lebovitz’s gorgeous new book Ready for Dessert. The recipes and photos are so enticing I can hardly stand it.

Other current inspirations are Andrea Nguyen’s Asian Dumplings (dumpling party, anyone?), Monica Bhide’s Modern Spice (I’m fixated on Indian food lately), and Lorna Yee’s just released The Newlywed Kitchen (Lorna’s an amazing cook).


The book on my bedside table is Auberge of the Flowering Hearth, by Roy Andreis de Groot. It’s the story and recipes of a small inn high in the French Alps. The book had been highly recommended but I’m finding it slow (Twitter has ruined my attention span, I’m afraid). It’s lovely and lyrical, but old fashioned (published in 1973). I pick it up from time to time and read a bit. It’s like a very rich dessert.




Gaia's Garden (dreadful hippie name), by Toby Hemenway. It’s a book on Permaculture, which is a more sustainable way of living and growing food. It’s incredibly inspiring.








Thank you for participating, Tara! Check back to see who answers the question next time and what other books are recommended.

Previous WAYR posts:
Jaden Hair
Michael Ruhlman
Monica Bhide
Michael Natkin
Sara Roahen
Andrea Nguyen
David Lebovitz
Rick Bayless


7 comments:

  1. Nice book, especially David Lebovitz's "Ready For dessert?".

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Lisa. I have Auberge of the Flowering Hearth, but am also finding it difficult to read, although I don't have Twitter bothering me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her blog! Haven't had time lately to read it and didn't know her book was out. I have been looking forward to it. Spoon Fed sounds like a good read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara's blog is so beautiful - I can only dream of writing as lyrically as she does. I wouldn't know which of these books to start reading first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa for introducing us to all these new cookbooks and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sounding reads ll - can't wait to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I highly recommend "Spoon Fed,'' too. Kim Severson is one of my favorite food writers. It's a sweet and revealing book. And the prose is full of nuance and beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips