Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

At Christmas time, I baked several kinds of cookies to share with family and friends. I had a list of all the cookies I wanted to try, but I only got to about half of them. These chocolate covered cherry cookies were on that other half of the list. When I ran out of time in December, I started thinking about a baking list for Valentine’s Day and put these cookies at the top of it. I saw these delicious looking treats and used the recipe found on A Good Appetite.

They are thumb-print cookies with half a maraschino cherry tucked into the indentation with chocolate spooned on top. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I located some all-natural maraschino cherries, Silver Palate brand, at Whole Foods. They have no artificial colors and no preservatives, and they taste great. Simple cookie, great ingredients, what could go wrong? Turns out, I nearly completely failed at making these cookies. My melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk mixture must have been too runny. When I took the cookies out of the oven, it had practically disappeared. Notice the bottom right photo below. That is what failure looks like.

Not willing to give up so easily, I decided to let the cookies cool while I considered my options. I thought I could sneekily re-top them with melted milk chocolate and no one would ever know. My plan was to send these to my nieces for Valentine’s Day, so I went with milk chocolate for the final topping instead of semisweet. That chocolate topping worked ok, and the cookies were brought back from the brink. I can’t wait to find out if my nieces enjoyed the cookies or if they could taste the bitterness of near failure.


12 comments:

  1. Just think...you were really infusing the cookies with more chocolate flavor. Whether that was intentional, who cares! :) Surely they pack a chocolate cherry punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how new great recipes get created :) These are gorgeous cookies! I bet they are really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cookies! Perfect for Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious and decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for getting creative! Whenever something doesn't turn out, I always just want to chuck it. It looks like you may have turned out something better than the original anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! These look gorgeous, I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. chocolate-covered cherries? meh. however, pop one on a cookie and i'll be all over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic! I love cherries and chocolate together! Unfortunatly, my husband hates it - oh well, more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great improvising! The final product looks so cute and pretty =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look like they turned out well in the end. Chocolate and cherries are a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very tricky! They look beautiful -- and delicious. I may just make a surprise batch of these for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope those cherries were soaking in alcohol hehe before going on the biscuits...lol...looks great

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips