Monday, September 22, 2008

Beet Ravioli with Ricotta and Goat Cheese

I've made fresh pasta a few times in the past, but I had never made a version with a vegetable incorporated into the dough. The fresh beet pasta dough and ravioli appeared in Living magazine in May of last year, and yesterday, I decided I was up for the challenge. I can't imagine making carrot, red pepper, spinach, and beet pasta all at once as Martha did, but making just one is doable.

First, a note about the ricotta: The last time I needed a good, fresh ricotta, I was a little lazy and didn't plan ahead. This time, I thought to stop by Mandola's Italian Market which is only a few blocks from home. They no longer make fresh ricotta daily, but they will make it for you with 24 hours notice. I picked it up on Sunday morning, and it had just been made and was still warm. The chef screwed up and packed two pounds instead of one, so I was given an extra pound of fresh ricotta because it was my lucky day. Our Sunday breakfast included a treat of some still warm, very fresh ricotta on multi-grain bread, and after making the ravioli, there’s still some left for another use.


For the pasta dough, I roasted some beets, peeled them, and pureed them with eggs and flour to form the dough. When it came together in the food processor, I turned the pretty, purple play-doh out onto a board and kneaded it with more flour. I wrapped it and let it rest for awhile. Then, I clamped down my pasta machine, and divided the dough. As I started the best part of pasta making which is cranking the dough through the machine, I realized there was a problem. I immediately had a sticky, purple mess all over the rollers and every surface of the machine. The machine was unclamped, wiped down, put back in the box, and I rolled by hand. I ended up dusting with a lot of flour to roll the dough with a pin, and it took a little extra time, but it worked.

The filling included the very fresh ricotta, goat cheese, chives, and parsley. I opted to omit the mint. The pasta sheets were topped with dollops of filling, folded to enclose, and cut to shape. The ravioli were quickly boiled, drizzled with browned butter, and topped with some chopped chives, basil, and parsley. I have to admit, I was so taken with the color, I wasn't thinking too much about how it would taste. The look of the stuffed ravioli made me forgive the dough for being sticky and obstinate, and somehow, my brain was stuck in visual mode. I was so happy with how it looked, I had placed the ravioli on a plate before even having a taste.

When I realized my slip, feeling kind of stupid, I had a bite and discovered, oh yeah, this tastes great too. I kind of knew it would be good, but that first bite took me by surprise because it was even better than I imagined. The chives and parsley in the cheese mixture did their appropriate herbal thing, and of course the cheeses were excellent. And, browned butter never hurts. With the cheese filling, butter, and herbs, the beet flavor of the pasta was barely noticeable. But, when tasting a bit of pasta with no cheese, a subtle beet earthiness was there. It was definitely worth the trouble because the ravioli were even more delicious than they were pretty.


13 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    Your cooking is beautiful.
    When are you writing your OWN cookbook?
    Stacey Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I wish I had a cookbook in me, but I just steal everyone else's ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely gorgeous!! What a lovely bright red hue...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous dinner option! Perfect for a dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderful punch of color the beets provide to the ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. How much flour/many eggs should I use when trying this recipe? How many beets for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry--I should have included the link to the pasta dough recipe separately. It can be found here:

    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/fresh-beet-pasta-dough?lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&rsc=recipecontent_food

    *Note: I ended up adding quite a bit more flour, so the amount really depends on the size of beets used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how absolutely creative and gorgeous! The color is just so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like beets but this beet ravioli is gorgeous! What a great dinner idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, Very Cool. I made ravioli from scratch last year, took us forever, but the results were so worth it. Love, love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very, Very Cool. I made ravioli from scratch last year, took us forever, but the results were so worth it. Love, love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look absolutely incredible. I've never made pasta, but am working up to it. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey I made this beet pasta as well. It was a while ago but we all loved it. Your looks much more pink than mine! Love your filling.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips